Did you know that calendar related errors are among the leading causes of malpractice claims? A pattern easy to understand when you factor in the multiple places we use to manage our schedules. Our phones, Outlook Calendar and more. Not to mention all the staff, attorneys, offices, time zones, court holidays and court rules involved.
But, the judge, nor your client cares about why any deadline and / or appearance was missed.
JuraLaw was created to herd the thousands of dates, deadlines, calendar rules and rules update changes that occur each year. You can tell by the sophistication of the platform that it would require at least a full time staff member to manage and recheck all of the calendar appointments to support a typical caseload in a midsize law firm.
Yet, according to an ILTA survey only 60% of ILTA law firms surveyed have invested in legal specific calendaring or docketing software.
For the law firms who aren’t using an automated, rules-based legal calendaring tool, the danger lies in several areas, including staff miscalculating dates, change of an attorney or an associate on a matter, employee turnover, and accidental or intentional appointment deletions.
Created by the team at the Law Bulletin in Chicago over thirty years ago, before anyone else in the industry, the system’s creation was motivated by reporting on legal news for decades, watching dockets, working with law firms, and publishing court related information.
JuraLaw’s value is delivered from the start of every new case. To begin, you’ll add a case, and select the appropriate jurisdiction and division. You will immediately be presented with case types, and corresponding calendar rule sets to schedule.
Schedule out the entire rule set, or choose from a list of all dates and deadlines. Supplemental reference guides offer explanations for every event type or rule, plus the text and authority is provided for every rule based event for additional clarification. Court rules changes and updates are presented with a clear side by side comparison for easy determination of applicability to your case.
There are hundreds of pre-loaded event types, so creating a deadline, calendar appointment or other events is a breeze. Set preferences by user and what each attorney likes. Such as:
- Custom Fields for Case Information
From there, JuraLaw generates the appointment and adds it to the user’s calendar. The synchronization with Outlook calendar, including 365, is one way. And… before you ask why here are a few more reasons to look at JuraLaw.
- Accident Avoidance: Appointments cannot be accidentally deleted. If someone wants to delete an event then they must click on two “delete” buttons for a ruled based event.,
- Global Assignment: By maintaining this control, law firm administrators, can re-assign cases to another staff member with ease. All appointments, deadlines, or calendar items in a series are assigned in bulk or piecemeal if you prefer.
- Reporting: Firm-wide calendar control has additional risk management benefits for law firm leaders. Automated reports can be generated and sent automatically to specific users. Such as upcoming Trials, events of the week, deadlines for the next month, and so on. Group reports together by location, practice area or branch and they will be distributed with no additional effort.
- 100% Web/Cloud based: Which provides enhanced data security, built in disaster recovery and true mobility.
Joseph Scott, Strategic Consultant for JuraLaw, put it best regarding the application’s intuitive design approach to solving a complex risk management problem. “JuraLaw has to be easy to use, otherwise we are giving them a seatbelt they won’t buckle.” Joseph regularly delivers CLE’s to law firms, bar associations and other professional organizations across the country on the importance of using technology to mitigate risk.
And he’s absolutely right. Technology often goes to waste when users are given too much or too little control. JuraLaw offers a fantastic balance between forced system actions, and flexibility for users to feel like they have a say in the calendaring process.
Gain peace of mind, lower your risk of malpractice, and improve visibility you’re your firm’s litigation calendar, at a surprising reasonable cost.
Learn more about JuraLaw at juralaw.com or contact Joseph Scott at JScott@lawbulletinmedia.com.